We choose the 25 best dog ramps after analyzing for more than 50 hours and trying out 100+ products so that you can get the ramp that is most convenient to your pooch.
Dog Ramps can be of great help to provide easy access to hard to reach destinations that are at height. It can be also helpful if you have an elder dog who finds it hard to climb on a vehicle or bed.
Moreover, it is not necessary that only an elder dog would need a ramp. The small breed dogs like a chihuahua, dachshund, etc, may also find it hard to climb up the bed even at their young age.
A ramp will also make your task easy as you don’t have to lift your pooch to make them reach where you want them to. So to facilitate yourself and your pets and to make their task easy in order to reach their destination, purchase an appropriate dog ramp for them.
The 25 Best Dog Ramps of 2019
We have reviewed the 25 best dog ramps that are perfect for indoor as well as outdoor usage. This list includes all types of ramps which can be used for various purposes like beds, couch, cars, SUVs, etc.
1. PetSafe Happy Ride Folding Dog Ramp
The PetSafe Happy Ride Folding Dog Ramp is the best dog ramp that is available at a very convenient price. This bi-fold dog ramp can be easily folded up to compact size which makes it easy to store. The compact size also increases its portability and convenience to transport.
This ramp has an all-plastic construction that makes it light in weight. It is not only lightweight in construction, but the material is also strong enough which makes it very durable and long-lasting. It has a safety latch using which you can lock the ramp so that it does not unfold accidentally.
- All-plastic construction bi-fold dog ramp
- Lightweight; measures only 10 pounds
- High traction surface and side rails prevent your pet from slipping or falling
- Safety latch prevents the ramp from unfolding accidentally
- Easily washable with mild detergent
The walking surface has high traction that prevents your pet from slipping while walking on the ramp. Similarly, the side rails on both sides to prevent your pooch from falling down from the ramp. Moreover, the rubber feet on the bottom side keep the ramp stable while in use.
The overall specifications and the durability of the ramp for the price that they are offering it makes the best dog ramp. It may not be very appropriate to be used indoors for bed, couch, end tables, etc, but it is the perfect ramp to be used for vehicles.
Note: The best dog ramp available at a very convenient price which is perfect for outdoor use for vehicles. It also has a high weight withstanding capacity up to 150 pounds so you can even use it for large dogs as well.
2. PetSafe Happy Ride Extra Long Telescoping Dog Ramp
Enjoy your adventurous trip with your pet with the help of PetSafe Happy Ride Extra Long Telescoping Dog Ramp. Use this telescoping ramp to help your fido friends to get in and out of the car, truck or SUV all by themselves.
This extra-wide telescoping ramp has adjustable sizing which allows you to change the length of the ramp depending upon the requirement. The telescoping feature also allows makes it compact and thus requires less storage space while not in use.
- Extra-long adjustable size telescoping dog ramp
- Made from strong durable and lightweight aluminum material
- High-traction surface to prevent slipping and side rails for safety
- Folds up to a small size to store easily
For the safety of your pup, it has a high-traction surface that prevents your dog from slipping and side rails keep your dog from falling when walking on the ramp. It is made more secure with the help of safety latches provided.
It is not only light in weight but it is durable and long-lasting. To make it durable strong aluminum material is used to make the frame which makes it support weight up to 300 pounds.
The surface of the ramp is non-slippery but also rough which may not be liked by puppies with very smooth paws as they may find it very rough.
Overall this is the best dog ramp, especially for outdoor use. The adjustable feature also makes it versatile that allows you to use it on vehicles or any other place.
Note: A premium dog with the best specifications but a higher price as compared to other products. This extra-long telescoping dog ramp has adjustable sizing, compact design, and lightweight & portable which makes it versatile for use.
Best Dog Ramp For SUV | Best Dog Ramp For Bed | Best Dog Pool Ramp | Best Dog Boat Ramp | Best Dog Ramp for Large Dogs
3. Paws & Pals Dog Ramp
The Paws & Pals is the best dog ramp for SUV, truck, RV, Car, or high bed. This is also one of the best dog ramps which is available at a very low price as compared to other products.
The compact design of this ramp when folded up requires very little space to store and makes transportation easier. Moreover, the lightweight yet durable material is an added bonus to it.
- Foldable lightweight dog ramp with carrying handle
- Hinges provided for more stability
- Side latches provided to secure with the vehicle
- The frame is made from strong lightweight plastic
- Easily washable with mild detergent
While in use, the ramp is very steady and securely locks in place due to the hinges which can be secured to make it stable. Moreover, 4 optional grip tapes are also included with it that can be used to increase the traction of the surface.
This dog ramp also comes with a carrying handle for portability that makes it great for travel. The construction of the ramp is such that it is easy to fold while not in use, also it takes no time to set up the ramp whenever you want to use it.
The ramp can be safely latched to the end of the vehicle to provide easy access. The side latches are provided for the same purpose that makes it secure and stable.
Note: This is one of the best dog ramps which is available at a very affordable price. Also, being cheaper does not mean that it won’t be of good quality as we found it durable and sturdy when we tested out this product.
4. Prairie View Industries SFW330 Portable Singlefold Ramp
This Portable Siglefold Ramp from Prairie View Industries is a heavy-duty ramp that can be used for dogs to help them reach the destinations that are high. It is also the widest ramp (30 inches wide) form the ones that we have reviewed here.
The large width of the dog ramp makes it more suitable for indoor use rather than using it outdoors for vehicles. However, you can use it for large vehicles, but it’ll be slightly heavier as compared to other lightweight ramps. It also includes a carrying handle with the help of which you can transport from one place to another whenever required.
- Extra-wide heavy-duty dog ramp
- The welded fabrication in this ramp makes it sturdier as compared to rivetted ramps
- Covered with high-traction anti-slip skid-resistant tape
The ramp needs to be assembled to use it. A proper instruction manual is included along with it through which you can easily assemble it simply by following the instruction. Optional service is also provided which includes expert installation, so if you do not feel like doing the installation part yourself, then you can include the installation service too. Moreover, after installation, stability testing of the ramp is also included in the expert installation service.
The structure of the ramp is made durable and sturdy with the help of welded fabrication rather than riveting. Welded joints are considered more stable and long-lasting as compared to rivetting. It is covered with anti-slip resistant tape for high-traction so as to prevent your pooch from slipping.
The extra-wide dog ramp is wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs, strollers, carriers with various wheel configurations. The ramp can be also made more stable and safe with the help of security pins provided on it.
The larger size of this ramp makes it a little heavier but considering its durability one should not deny buying it just because it is heavier than other dog ramps, especially if you want to use it indoors.
Note: Although this ramp is not specially designed for dogs still it is very appropriate to be used as a dog ramp.
5. Pet Gear Full Length Ramp Patented Compact Easy-Fold Design
This dog ramp from Pet Gear is available in two different variants Bi-Fold and Tri-Fold. Both of the variants are very durable and long-lasting because of the heavy-duty plastic which is used for its fabrication.
It has a slip-resistant surface which prevents your pooch from slipping while walking on it. For added security, safety tether is included with the ramp which you can attach to the ramp to make it more stable. In addition to this, rubber grippers are provided for more stability.
- High-traction slip-resistant surface
- Carrying handle provided for easy handling
- Rubber grippers provided on bottom for more stability
The ramp is also very lightweight and portable which makes it perfect for using it indoors as well as outdoors. It can be also easily folded up to compact storage so that you can conveniently keep it whenever not in use. Moreover, it also includes a molded handle that makes it easy to take it from one place to another.
The walking surface of the dog ramp is not very smooth. The non-slip surface prevents your fido from slipping but at the same time, it can be hard for puppies with soft paws.
Considering all the features and specifications of this dog ramp it is perfect to buy. You also don’t have to spend a high amount in order to get this dog ramp as it is available at a very reasonable price.
6. PetSTEP Original Folding Pet Ramp
The PetSTEP original folding pet ramp is a bi-fold ramp that can be used indoors as well as outdoors. It can be easily folded in half for easy storage and portability. The is designed in such a way that it opens and closes in seconds without any hardware. Moreover, molded ergonomic carrying handles are provided on both sides for portability.
Unlike cheaper ramps, this one has a unique and soft non-slip rubberized surface that provides superior traction in wet as well as dry conditions. Since no sandpaper or carpet is used on the walking surface so it is also very soft and safe on paws.
- Superior traction soft non-slip rubberized surface
- Universal non-slip grip fits all vehicles and edges
- Advanced composite plastic construction
Moreover, the ramp is made from advanced composite plastic construction that will not rust or corrode. It can be also easily cleaned with the help of soap and water.
– Safeguard dog’s paws with best dog water shoes.
7. Pet Gear Free Standing Ramp for Dogs
If you are looking for the best free-standing dog ramp with a high weight limit capacity then this supertraX dog ramp from Pet Gear will be a great choice. This patented free-standing design ramp supports itself and does not need to rest on vehicle or furniture. Moreover, the ramp easily folds up in halves for easy storage and portability.
The frame of this dog ramp is made from heavy-duty plastic material that makes it sturdy, durable, and long-lasting. In addition to this, it is also light in weight that makes it easy to take one place to another so that you can use it wherever required.
- Patented free-standing design, does not need rest on vehicle or furniture
- Easily folds for compact storage and portability
- Pressure activated grip allows for pets paws to easily grip into the mat
The surface has a pressure-activated grip that allows for pet’s paws to easily grip into the mat and prevent slipping. The soft mat not only protects pet’s paws but it is also easy to clean. In addition to this, the raised edges prevent slipping off from the sides.
Note: As it is a free-standing dog ramp and its height is static, so before purchasing make sure that you measure the height of the destinations where you want your pet to reach to make sure that those places will be easily accessible or not.
8. PetSafe Solvit Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp
Searching for an easy to use dog ramp? The PetSafe Solvit Deluxe Telescoping Ramp will be a good choice. The adjustable sizing feature of this telescoping dog ramp makes it versatile as it can be used for vehicles and furniture of various height.
This lightweight ramp weighs only 13 pounds that makes it easy to carry and lift in and out in order to use it. However, lightweight does not mean that it’ll be feeble. The aluminum frame makes it durable, sturdy, and long-lasting.
- Telescoping ramp with adjustable sizing
- Strong aluminum material frame
- High-traction surface and side rails to prevent your pet from slipping or falling
The high-traction surface prevents your dog from slipping and at the same time the side rails protect your pooch from falling while walking on the ramp.
Moreover, the ramp easily slides inwards and locks with the safety latch so that you can easily store it in your vehicle. Any built-in molded handle is not provided on the ramp so it may make it difficult to carry, but a carrying case is sold separately that can make your task easier.
9. Gen7Pets Natural Step Ramp for Pets
This natural ramp from Gen7Pets is one of the softest ramps with Poly-Grass grip on the walking surface. The grass surface is not only soft to the dog’s paws but it also provides sufficient grip that prevents your pooch from slipping.
This natural-step ramp is lightweight and portable and has a built-in soft rubber-grip carrying handle via which you can easily take it from one place to another. It is also easy to open and fold which makes it easy to use. Moreover, the automatic locking latch secures the ramp closed so there will be no accidental unfolding of the ramp.
- Poly-Grass allows the dog to get a grip while walking up a soft surface that will not scratch its paws
- Lightweight, easy to open and close, and carrying handle provided for portability
- The ramp folds up to thin compact design that is easy to store
The ramp can be easily folded up to a thin compact size that makes it easy to store, you can easily keep it in the back of the SUV or under the bed or couch. The soft grass grip also makes it perfect for puppies with soft paws.
Note: If you have a pet that has very soft paws which scratch even on slightly rough or hard surfaces then this ramp is definitely perfect for your pet.
10. Pet Gear Tri-Fold Ramp 71 Inch Long Extra Wide
Is your pet a large dog breed? If yes, then this will be definitely the best ramp for your fido. This tri-fold ramp from Pet Gear is wide enough to securely support large breed dogs. In addition to being extra wide, it also has great weight limit support.
This compact tri-folding pet ramp can be folded up to compact size that helps it in easy transportation which increases its portability. The built-in carrying handle provided in it is an added bonus.
- Compact tri-folding extra-wide dog ramp
- Skid-resistant surface safe for dog’s paws that prevents from slipping
- Easily folds up and opens within seconds
- Carry handle provided for easy transportation
The skid resistance textured surface not only provides traction but it is also safe to your dog’s paws. The soft yet high-traction surface is also safe for pet parents as well as the vehicle as it won’t scratch.
For more stability safety tether is provided that you can attach to the car to make the ramp more secure. In addition to this, to prevent it from sliding the bottom of the ramp has rubber grippers to maintain its position.
11. PetSafe Happy Ride Extendable Dog Ramp
As the name suggests, the PetSafe happy ride extendable dog ramp has adjustable sizing. The size can be varied simply by pulling the telescoping section. This allows it to be used at various hard to reach places.
This ramp not only has an adjustable size, but there are many other features that make it a perfect product for various purposes. The fiberglass material used for its fabrication makes it lightweight as well as durable.
- Extendable dog ramp up to 42″ to 70″ size
- Fiberglass used for its fabrication makes it lightweight as well as durable
- Built-in carrying handle for easy carrying
- Rubberized feet on the bottom side provides more stability
Moreover, the textured walking surface provides traction and safety and prevents your fido from slipping. The guide rails on each side make your pet more safe by preventing them from falling while walking on the ramp.
12. Solvit Wood Bedside Dog Ramp
Are you looking for a ramp that is specially designed to be used indoors? If yes, then this Solvit Wood Bedside Dog Ramp is a perfect choice. It is a free-standing ramp that will be very stable to support your pet to reach a bed or couch that is hard to reach.
The length of this dog ramp is large enough to provide a gentle climbing angle so that your fido can easily reach the tallest bed with the least efforts. The top landing area of the ramp is also large enough to easily accommodate your pet so that he can confidently move to and from the bed.
- Free-standing bedside wooden dog ramp
- Ribbed carpet surface that provides grip and also safe on dog’s paws
- Available in brown and white color to complement any bedroom decor
The rich cherry finish of this wooden ramp makes it perfect for any bedroom decor. It is also available in two different colors, white and brown, that complement aesthetically and matches any furniture.
13. Pet Gear Travel Lite Ramp with supertraX Surface
The Pet Gear Lite Ramp comes with supertraX mat walking surface which is soft, protects paws and provides a pressure-activated grip that prevents your dog from slipping. It is available in three different variants to choose from. The removable mat also makes your cleaning task easy.
For more stability, rubberized grips are at the bottom of the ramp. On the other hand, raised edges on the sides prevent your pet from slipping off from the sides while walking. For additional security, safety tether is also provided that you can connect with your vehicle to make the ramp more stable.
- Available in three different variants: Bi-fold, Tri-fold, and Extra-wide Tri-fold
- supertraX surface with high traction
- Removable mat for easy cleaning
It is lightweight yet durable and sturdy. The built-in handle and easy fold mechanism increase its portability. The bi-fold/tri-fold design makes it compact and reduces storage space.
14. WeatherTech PetRamp High-Traction Foldable Dog Ramp
This bi-fold dog ramp from WeatherTech has a high-traction surface that helps in maintaining a sufficient grip for your dog’s paws. It is lightweight as well as durable and easy to clean and will not rust or corrode. The simpler design is easy to fold and unfold which makes it easy to use.
It has rubber feet on both ends that prevent it from slipping from the ground or sliding from the vehicle. The walking surface of the ramp has molded, textured rubber surface which provides extra traction for your dog.
- Lightweight bi-fold dog ramp capable of handling pets up to 300 lbs
- Rubber feet on both ends prevent the ramp from slipping or sliding
- Easy to fold and unfold
It is designed in such a way that the hinge end becomes flat when folded up allowing easier storage. An integrated carrying handle is also provided on both sides of the ramp which makes it easy for you to carry it around.
15. PETMAKER 18″ Foldable Pet Ramp
This foldable pet ramp from Petmaker is free-standing with a fixed length which is perfect for indoor usage to provide easy access to hard to reach places like a bed, couch, end table, etc. The finished wood mahogany color and chocolate brown colored fabric will perfectly complement your furniture.
It is lightweight and portable and can be conveniently stored in a very small space as it folds flat with a push of a button. The material used for its fabrication also make it durable and long-lasting. While using it you have to make sure that you do either spot cleaning or light vacuum.
- Foldable fixed-length free-standing ramp
- Walking surface is foam padded and covered with fabric for high-traction
- Foldable with a push of a button for easy storage
The frame of this dog ramp is made from wood which is strong enough to support pets up to 80 pounds. The fabric of the walking surface is also strong yet soft that is safe for dog’s paws.
16. PetSafe Happy Ride Mini Dog Ramp
The PetSafe Happy Ride Mini Dog Ramp is a small-sized fixed-length ramp that can be used for vehicles with low ride height or low furniture. It can be even placed over stairs for easy home entry. The simple and static design makes it versatile and easy to use to provide easy access for your pooch to hard to reach places.
The sturdy plastic material used makes it durable and support weights up to 150 pounds. The plastic material also make it lightweight and portable. It does not have any carrying handle but the rectangular slit inscribed on the side rail makes it easy to carry.
- Fixed length portable mini dog ramp
- Sturdy plastic material used for fabrication that makes it lightweight
- Textured surface and guide rails prevent from sliding/slipping
The walking surface has high traction and textured covering that provides sufficient grip to the dog’s paws and prevents them from slipping. Moreover, the guide rails provided on the sides protect your pup from sliding sideways while walking on it.
17. TOBBI 62” Bi-fold Portable Dog Ramp for Large Pet
The large-sized 62 inches bi-fold ramp from TOBBI for large dogs is perfect for using outdoors for cars, SUVs, Trucks, etc. The bi-fold design makes it compact due to which storing becomes very convenient.
It is made from heavy-duty plastic that makes it ultra-lightweight yet sturdy and lightweight. The high traction walking surface has textured covering which prevents pets from slipping. In addition to this, for more stability rubber grippers on the bottom side protects the ramp from sliding on the ground.
- Bi-fold ultra-light large size dog ramp made from heavy-duty plastic
- High-traction textured surface prevent pets from slipping
- Rubber grippers on the bottom side prevent sliding from the ground
This large-sized dog ramp is capable of holding weights up to 200lbs. In order to store it while not in use it can be folded up to two halves. Safety latches are also provided so that it does not open up accidentally.
18. Titan 28 – 61 Telescoping Collapsible Pet Ramp
Looking for a rugged and strong dog ramp? Then this collapsible dog ramp from Titan is a perfect choice. For durability, the mainframe is made from aluminum whereas other parts are made from plastic to avoid increasing its overall weight.
Being a tough and durable ramp it has a load capacity of up to 180 pounds. The walking surface is also wide enough to easily support large dogs. The large rubber feet on the bottom side prevent it from slipping. On the other hand, the cured rubber grips on the top side prevent it from sliding off the ground.
- Collapsible telescoping dog ramp extendable up to 61 inches
- The aluminium material for frame and plastic for other parts make it durable and lightweight
- Rubber grippers on the bottom side prevent the ramp from slipping
- High traction textured surface for better grip
The telescoping design allows you to adjust the size between 28 inches to 61 inches. In the collapsed size it will take the least storage space for convenient storage.
19. Merry Products Collapsible Dog Ramp
This collapsible dog ramp from Merry Products is suitable for indoor usage to provide access to high furniture when your pet cannot reach easily. This bedside ramp has three adjustable height that you can adjust depending upon the height of the furniture.
It does not require any assembly, you can simply use it by unfolding it to the size depending upon your requirement. This free-standing dog ramp has a load capacity of up to 150 lbs when opened to its highest whereas when opened lowest then it can support weight up to 50 pounds.
- Free-standing dog ramp with three adjustable heights
- Rubber soles on the bottom sides for better stability
- Wheels provided for easy transportation
- Foldable to a flat and compact size for simple storage
For more stability, it has rubber soles on the bottom sides that prevent it from sliding on the floor. Moreover, wheels are provided that make transportation easier.
20. TRIXIE Pet Products 39″ Safety Pet Ramp
If you are searching for a small dog ramp for dachshunds, chihuahuas or similar small dog breeds then the TRIXIE Safety Pet Ramp is definitely the best choice.
It is suitable for indoor as well as outdoor use. The lightweight and portable design make it convenient to use it for a vehicle as well. Moreover, in addition to being lightweight, it is also very sturdy and durable.
- Fixed length dog ramp
- Thick and sturdy material for durability
- Suitable for outdoor as well as indoor usage
The ramp is designed in such a way that it is very stable. Its upper side is curved in such a way that it strongly withholds the destination (vehicle or furniture) which prevents sliding.
21. Gentle Rise Dog Bed Ramp
This fixed-length Gentle Rise Dog Ded Ramp is perfect for indoor use to be used for bed, couch, end table, or sofa. It is long enough to provide easy access to hard to reach places without requiring much effort from your pooch.
It has a gradual slope that allows your senior dog to safely get up and down from couch or bed. It also has a wide walkway and a sturdy frame that makes it more stable so your dog feels secure while using the ramp. For more safety, it has side rails that can be installed either way so as to prevent your pooch from falling down while walking on the ramp.
- Fixed length stationary indoor dog ramp
- Non-slip rubber flooring for maximum grip and cushioning
- Side rails provided to prevents your dog from falling down from the ramp
Moreover, the walking surface has non-slip rubber flooring that provides sufficient grip to the paws so as o prevent your pet from slipping. In addition to this, the walking surface is also soft on the dog’s paws do its softness and cushioning and won’t hurt their paws.
22. Pet Loader Light 16″ Platform
This step type dog ramp is designed for safety with careful consideration of your dog’s natural gait & needs. It is also approved by trainers, groomers, and veterinarians and in addition to household use, it is also used in hospitals and rehab centers considering its safety.
The 3 step dog ramp is also available in other variants of 4 steps and 5 steps. It can be easily folded up to a compact size to increase its portability. Moreover, the lightweight design also makes it very convenient to take it from one place to another.
- Step type dog ramp (available in 3, 4 and 5 steps)
- Approved by veterinarians, trainers, and groomers
- Carpeted stair surface
- Easily foldable to a compact size
It is suitable for indoor as well as outdoor use. It can be used to provide easy access to vehicles of height 16 to 20 inches. Moreover, it is also suitable to be used for bed, couch, or end table.
23. PetSafe Solvit Half Ramp
If you are looking for a small-sized ramp from a popular and trusted brand then the PetSafe Solvit Half Ramp well the perfect choice. It is a fixed-length ramp with a length of 39 inches that is appropriate for heights up to 20 inches.
The small size design makes it very convenient to carry around wherever required. It weighs only 7 lbs but lightweight does not mean that it isn’t durable. The high-density polyethylene makes it sturdy and durable enough to supports up to 200 lbs.
- Small-sized fixed-length dog ramp
- High-density polyethylene material makes it lightweight and durable
- Textured walking surface with high traction
Moreover, the non-slip rubber feet help hold the ramp steady and prevent it from sliding on the ground. The textured walking surface provides traction for a comfortable grip so as to prevent your pet from slipping while walking on the ramp.
24. Frisco Deluxe Wood Carpeted Pet Ramp
This is the fixed-length stationary dog ramp from Frisco which is suitable for indoor use for beds, couch, and end tables. It is long enough to provide a gentle climbing angle for pets.
The ramp is made from a solid wood support frame that makes it very sturdy. Moreover, the broad leg base makes it stable while in use.
- Fixed-length stationary dog ramp
- Broad legs for more stability
- Carpeted walking surface for traction
The fabric-covered walking surface has high traction that provides sufficient grip to prevent your pet from slipping from the ramp. The walking surface is also safe and gentle for your pet’s paws. It is made up of a wooden frame and has rubber soles on the bottom to prevent it from sliding from the floor. Moreover, it also features wheels for easy transportation.
25. Atoz Create Bi-Fold Pet Ramp for Large Dog
This bi-fold dog ramp from Atoz Create is suitable for large dogs to provide them easy access to hard to reach destinations that are at height. It is suitable for using indoors as well as outdoors. The portable design also makes it easy for you to take it on the vehicles too.
The high-visibility reflective strip provides maximum visibility in the dark when the ramp is in use in guiding your pet un and down. The safety latches provided in it help to lock the ramp securely so that it does not fold accidentally.
- Bi-fold collapsible dog ramp
- High-visibility reflective strip
- Non-skid anti-Slipping Surface
Moreover, it has a high traction anti-slip and anti-skid surface that prevents your pet from slipping while walking on the ramp. To make the ramp stable the bottom of the ramp is designed in such a way that it does not slide on the ground.
Who Should Buy a Dog Ramp?
If you have an older dog or if your fido is having an injury of any form due to which he is incapable or find it difficult to climb up to sofa, bed, or any other higher place then the dog ramp is the best option that can help your doggo for the access to those hard to reach heights. A dog ramp will not only make it easy for your pooch to climb to not-easily-accessible places but it’ll also provide him an appropriate route.
Moreover, it is not always older or injured dogs that will a dog ramp, puppies and smaller dog breeds like dachshunds, chihuahuas may also find it difficult to get into the car or climb up to the sofa or bed. So it becomes important to get a dog ramp before your pooch starts stressing himself if he’s not able to easily reach higher places. Even if you want them to enjoy swimming, you can get the best dog pools available for them.
Benefits of Using a Dog Ramp
Dog ramps are beneficial in many ways even though it looks like a piece of simple furniture. A portable dog ramp can be used for various purposes ranging from providing easy access to SUVs, trucks or any other high place for your pet to get on their destination easily.
A ramp will not only make it easy for older dogs to reach cars, SUVs, bed, couch, etc. but it’ll also prevent them from any injuries or joint problems.
Moreover, the main benefit of a dog ramp is that it’ll help your pet to easily reach hard-to-reach destinations.
Types of Dog Ramps
The dog ramps are broadly distinguished between two different major types depending upon where it is used. Although they are built differently, the main purpose that they serve is the same that makes higher places easily accessible.
Outdoor Dog Ramp
As the name suggested, outdoor dog ramps are to be used outdoors whether you go on for a vacation or a short trip to provide easy access for your pet to cars or SUVs. These ramps are portable and mostly made lightweight so that it can be transported and stored easily.
Indoor Dog Ramp
The indoor dog rams provide easy access to sofa, bed, end table or any other higher places where your pet cannot reach easily. For the indoor dog ramps, it is not necessary to be lightweight or portable, as it has to be mostly installed at a specific place and nee not to be moved very often.
How to Choose the Best Dog Ramp?
Choosing a dog ramp can be har especially if you are new to this product. There are certain factors that you should consider so that you get the most appropriate and the best dog ramp for your pooch. In order to make the buying decision easier for you, we have added only the important points that you need to consider:
Where It’ll Be Used
The first thing that you need to know before purchasing a dog ramp or any other product is its purpose. You can use the dog ramp either to provide easy access to cars, SUVs or to bed, sofas, & end table. Depending upon the place where you need to use the ramp you may need a different type.
Height, Length, and Slope
The most important specifications of a dog ramp are its height, length, and slope. In most of the cases, the height and slope can be adjusted depending upon the length of the ramp. However, it is not always necessary, especially in the indoor dog ramps.
- Height: Measure the height of the destination (Car, SUV, Bed, Couch, End Table, etc,) where you want your pet to reach and accordingly buy the ramp which can appropriately reach that height.
- Length: Most of the ramps have fixed lengths, but there are also adjustable length dog ramps available. Before purchasing a dog ramp check its length according to your requirement depending upon where you’ll be using it. A longer length is always preferable but make sure that you don’t purchase a very long one otherwise it will utilize more space.
- Slope: The optimum slope for a ramp is between 18° to 26°. The slope is depended upon the length of the ramp and height of the destination. The low slope makes climbing easy and a steeper slope makes climbing difficult.
The key to finding best dog ramps lies in selecting the perfect Height, Length, and Slope.
Folding and Telescoping
The dog ramps are a few feet long that might make it hard to take it from one place to another if they were rigid. But this is not the case with the foldable or telescoping dog ramps, as these ramps fold-up to a very compact and small size that makes it easy to transport from one place to another. The compact size also makes it easy to store the ramp whenever not in use.
Generally, telescoping ramps are considered more durable than the folding ones. A folding ramp of low quality may loosen up and may not provide enough rigidity for proper functionality. A telescoping ramp, on the other hand, can be shrunk to a smaller size as compared to the folding ones and also provide more rigidity for its functioning. However, the telescoping dog ramps are comparatively of a higher price than the folding ones.
The material out of which the ramp is made up of matters a lot on how it’ll affect the usability of the dog ramp. A dog ramp made from metallic material will be of higher weight than the non-metallic one. Also, in most of the cases, the ramps made from stainless steel or any other material will be sturdier than the non-metallic ones.
Ramps made from plastic are lightweight and easily portable and hence preferred more for outdoors. But a few popular brands (like Pet Gear and PetSafe) successfully make stainless steel ramps that are also light in weight.
Metal and plastic are not the only material of which a ramp is made up of. There are also wooden ramps that are recommended for only indoor use only, as their durability may reduce due to outdoor weather especially rain.
One of the most important factors that you need to consider before purchasing a dog ramp is its weight limit. You can always go for a higher weight limit but never go for a low weight handling capacity. The weight limit also defines the strength and hence it indirectly reflects the durability of the ramp, so higher the weight handling capacity, higher will be its durability.
This is the factor that you should never neglect before purchasing a dog ramp, especially if you are going to use the ramp for your vehicle. Even if you are going to use the ramp indoors for your bed, then there are high chances that you will be using the same ramp for your couch as well if you have only one ramp. For this, you need to physically move the ramp from one place to another, and a ramp that is lighter in weight will make your task easier.
Your doggo won’t wait to stick his paws to the ramp while running to get into the car, and there are chances that due to the inclination he might slip if the surface is slippery. You certainly would not like your pet to fall down, and hence to avoid such mishaps from happening, make sure that you purchase a dog ramp that has a non-slippery surface. For extra safety, you can also apply anti-skid tapes to the ramp.
Besides the factors that we mentioned above, there are also some other points that are worth considering before you decide which dog ramp to purchase.
- Carry Handle or Carrying Case: Carry handles are mostly provided on the portable dog ramps. A carry handle makes it, even more, easier to transport it from one place to another. Similar to the carry handle, a carrying case can also make your job easier.
- Reflective Marks: If you are planning to buy a ramp to provide easy access to the car or SUV then make sure that it has reflective markings on it. The reflective markings will provide safety special during the night in the traffic areas. The reflective marks also make it easy for you to find the ramp if you have kept it at some dark location.
- Budget: Decide your budget before purchasing the dog ramp. Most of the heavy-duty dog ramps are available for somewhere around $100, so you can very easily get a durable and sturdy ramp for that price.
- Brand: The brand is another factor that you need to consider. Most popular and trustworthy brands are PetSafe and Pet Gear which is very durable and long-lasting. However, this does not mean that the products from other brands are not good, we have only added the products in our reviews that were found to best after we analyzed and made an on-ground test.
Safety Tips While Using Dog Ramps
The usage of the dog ramp should be effective as well as safe. There are some precautions that you can take and be prepared to be safe so as to avoid any mishap from happening. We have mentioned the safety tips that one should follow before and while using the dog ramp.
- Training: Before you actually start using the ramp you have to train your dog to ensure full safety. In the below section we have mentioned how you can easily train your pet to use the ramp.
- Place the ramp on the stable ground: While using the ramp outdoors, make sure that the ground is not uneven. If you place the ramp on the uneven surface then there are high chances that it may disbalance and fall down due to which your dog may also fall down.
- Supervise and guide properly: You have to properly train your dog under your supervision, if untrained he may jump off the ramp.
Train Your Dog to Use a Car Ramp?
How do you train a dog to use a car ramp? So if you want to train your pooch to use the dog ramp, you have to start with some basic steps. Follow these steps to easily train your pooch:
- Start the training with a treat: Keep the ramp on the ground and with the treat in your hand make your dog follow the treat as he moves across the ramp. Let him follow your hand target until he crosses the ramp and reaches the destination. After your pet completes one round, reward him the treat.
- Now, walk across the ramp without the ramp or hand target.
- Raise the ramp slightly: Raise the ramp to a smaller hight so that the slope is not very steep and repeat the above two processes again.
- Increase the height gradually: As the height increases, it can become more difficult initially for your dog to climb the ramp. With the increase in slope, you also need to make your practice again and again till the time he gets comfortable with it.
- Keep rewarding after completing every round.
- Once you have reached the desired height and after you see your dog has developed enough confidence, then you and your pet are ready for the actual usage of the dog ramp.
FAQs About Dog Ramps
Which is the best dog ramp?
The PetSafe Happy Ride Folding Dog Ramp is the best dog ramp because of its build quality and the price at which it is sold. It is built from tough and strong material that makes supports pets who weigh up to 150 pounds. Moreover, its high-traction walking surface helps it prevent from slipping while your pet is walking on the ramp.
Considering all of its factors & specifications and the price it is available to make it the best and top pick choice for an all-purpose dog ramp.
Are stairs or a ramp better for dogs?
A ramp is a better choice as compared to stairs for any dog that finds it difficult to climb any stairs. Older dogs especially those who have arthritis or any other joint ailment may find it hard to climb a stair or step, so it is always recommended to use a dog ramp for them.
What angle should a dog ramp be?
The most appropriate slope at which you can keep a dog ramp is between 18 to 26 degrees. Lesser the angle easier it would be for your dog to climb the ramp, and a higher angle makes it more difficult to climb the ramp. For smaller dog breeds you have to keep less inclination, whereas for medium and large breed dogs you can use higher inclination angles.
How much do dog ramps cost?
Dog ramps cost around $40-$250 depending upon its specifications and durability. Generally, you can get a good quality dog ramp for anywhere around $100, but if you want a heavy-duty dog ramp it may cost you more than $200. Similarly, if you are looking for a simple and minimalistic dog ramp with little less durability than the premium ones than you need not spend more than 50$.
The Paws & Pals Dog Ramp for Large Dogs that we have listed in our reviews is the best and the cheapest dog ramp available in the market with good durability. According to the team of Dog Loves Best, if you are willing to spend a little more, then PetSafe Happy Ride Extra Long Telescoping Dog Ramp will be the best choice for you and your pooch.
The Final Note
We considered adding every type of dog ramps for different purposes so that you can easily choose one depending upon your requirement. Always remember that before purchasing any dog ramp you carefully measure the height of the places where you will be using the ramp so that you can accordingly choose the ramp with appropriate height.